Saturday, February 28, 2009

The state of my final

I've thought about what I'd like to write about for my final since I've turned in the proposal. It's changed about 45 times.
So, to start I had this idea:
For my final Arts Journalism project, I’d like to explore food and food prices in terms of health. For instance, the cheapest (and in some cases tastiest) foods are shockingly unhealthy, while organic food, or even lower fat options at restaurants are more expensive and usually bland. I could go a little into fad diets, but I guess to keep myself grounded I could choose one or two restaurants that have lower fat options and critique the meal. I think TGI Fridays and Chili’s all boast of having healthier options, and I think it’s TGI Fridays that has decided to serve smaller portions, Right Portion Right Price kind of thing. I could talk about the dollar menu at McDonald’s or any other fast food place, and can even talk about supermarkets and organic and lower fat and sodium options being more expensive than regular items. In order to stick with the critique idea, I’d need to narrow it down and select one or two things to critique, so I could do a meal at TGI Fridays and see if there’s any meals that are similar and not a healthier choice and compare the two. I guess I need you to tell me when my story is straying from a critique and getting into regular feature writing.

Then, I thought about the last time I wrote about food and how hard it was, so I decided against food reviews. But I love food, and I actually do like reviewing movies, so I thought about some food-related movies. Well, more specifically, I had been thinking a lot about body image and then food and then media. So, I came up with the Gilmore Girls, because they're supposed to be this gorgeous mother-daughter duo who are inept in the kitchen and eat out all the time. They only eat pop tarts and cheeseburgers and they're both stick-thin. Then, I remembered reading an interview with Lauren Graham (the one who plays the mom) and as she was answering questions she was eating an arugula salad, then she said some things about how much she exercises and she doesn't really eat like her character does. I mean, I figured she didn't actually eat like that, but who doesn't want to believe that they can eat as much as they want like they're favorite tv stars and still stay thin? It had been a comforting thing, like when I ate badly they were my justification, as crazy as that sounds. It felt like false advertising.
They do that on the Disney show iCarly, too. I'm getting over how much of a weirdo this all makes me sound like. Anyway, there's one really skinny character who eats all the time and is known for eating all the time. It's this new trend of playing into American habits of overeating, but making the characters also fit the American beauty standards of being model-thin so it keeps all audience members happy.
I hope I have a story here, because I think I could get 1000 words out of it. We'll see.

1 comment: